David Ostrowski, MD
Dr. David Ostrowski received his Bachelor of Science degree with distinction from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. He was awarded his medical degree by Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, with distinction.
Dr. Ostrowski currently practices at D1 Sports Medicine located just off Highway 31 behind Brookwood Medical Center. He has been a hand surgeon since 1984, serving as on the staff of almost every hospital in Birmingham during his career. Named one of Birmingham’s Best Docs – Hand Surgeons in 2005-2006, he was one of the first surgeons in Alabama to perform endoscopic carpal tunnel release. Endoscopic surgery is minimally invasive, resulting in less scarring, quicker recovery time, and better outcomes in the short term, meaning that patients can return to normal activity sooner than with open carpal tunnel release.
He is also trained in Needle Aponeurotomy (NA) for same-day treatment of Dupuytren’s disease, proficient in hand and wrist surgery, including joint replacement and nerve and tendon repair, and in the conservative management of hand and wrist conditions, both diseases of the hand wrist, and problems that result from injury. He also specializes in the treatment of worker’s compensation patients with hand and wrist injuries.
Dr. Ostrowski was trained in the NA procedure by Dr. Charles Eaton of The Hand Center in Jupiter Beach, Florida. Dr. Eaton is the pioneer of NA in the United States. He was personally instructed by Dr. Jean Luc Lermusiaux and his colleagues in France on how to perform NA’s and has was the first physician to offer the procedure in the United States.
Internships & Fellowships
- Emory University Affiliated Hospitals, Atlanta, GA – General Surgery
- University of Alabama at Birmingham – Orthopedic Surgery
- University of Alabama at Birmingham – Fellowship in Hand, Upper Extremity, and Microsurgery
- Board-Certified – American Board of Orthopedic Surgery (ABOS)
- American Board of Orthopedic Surgery Certificate of Added Qualifications in Hand Surgery (CAQ)
Dr. Ostrowski is a member of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS), the Jefferson County Medical Society, and the American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH).
To become a member of the ASSH, he had to fulfill the following requirements:
- Board-certification in orthopedic, plastic, or general surgery (the majority of ASSH membership are orthopedic hand surgeons)
- Completion of a certified hand fellowship of at least one year
- Completing the CAQ in hand and upper extremity surgery every ten years
- Recommendation by the Director of his completed hand fellowship program and at least three other peers
- Demonstration that his practice focuses on hand and upper extremity surgery and treatment.
Dr. Ostrowski is also a member of the International Dupuytren Society.